International Health Insurance for Students
Studying abroad gives you the chance to spread your wings and embrace the culture of another country. You can see the world through different eyes – and expand your language skills.
- Affordable coverage for students abroad
- Mental Health Support
- Emergency coverage for unexpected injuries
- 24/7 multilingual Customer Service
Get a free quote It takes only 2 minutes!
Health insurance for students gives you the peace of mind to embark on your new adventure, knowing that your health is protected as you kickstart your studies.
But a range of factors must be weighed against the many benefits of studying abroad. Think carefully about the costs you’re likely to face in your chosen country and what the economic situation is like. Consider whether it’ll match your lifestyle needs too.
Access to healthcare is another essential area, with the rules varying between each nation. Discover how international health insurance for students could ease the transition below.
How can international health insurance help students?
A student visa is usually temporary, allowing you to stay in another country for a specific period. For that reason, you may find publicly funded or universal healthcare services aren’t available to you. Luckily, that’s where international health insurance for students can come in handy…
Is international health insurance always necessary for students?
Health and other forms of insurance may be a condition of visa applications, meaning they’re generally essential for overseas students. Many universities also make health insurance a condition of entry, requesting a minimum level of coverage before you arrive.
Without adequate insurance, countries with heavily privatised healthcare systems like the US or Switzerland might prove too costly. University medical centres, doctors’ surgeries and hospital use can prove expensive if you require urgent assistance.
Also bear in mind that some countries make medical checks a legal requirement before students are allowed to move there. For example, the New Zealand authorities may ask to see a medical certificate to check your health status.
What are the main international student health insurance benefits?
• Preparing you for the unexpected. Nobody knows what’s around the corner. But with international health insurance, you won’t be left behind if an accident or illness occurs. Policies typically cover inpatient treatments like surgery costs and hospital stays. Cancer care, medical emergencies and mental health support are commonly included too.
• Useful add-ons. You can often go beyond the basics, with add-ons such as dental treatments, physiotherapy and health screening.
• Medical evacuations. Some policies cover the costs of returning you to your home country following a medical crisis.
• Potential for worldwide coverage. Many insurers provide cover if you’re planning to travel across multiple countries. This gives you the flexibility to leave your country of study without worrying about medical costs elsewhere.
Choosing your international health insurance
Answer a few questions and enter your personal details to get started.
Choose your plan
Compare plans and find a flexible package to suit your needs.
Receive your quote and get protected today.
Choose from two core plans:
Cigna Global Health Options
- High quality worldwide care, with two areas to choose from (Worldwide / Worldwide excluding US).
- Customizable with three levels to choose from, four optional add-ons and flexible payment options.
- Comprehensive cover for inpatient, daypatient and emergency cover, mental health care, pandemic cover and cancer care.
Cigna Close Care
- Our plan which covers you in the country you’re living in and your home country for return visits.
- Emergency medical coverage outside of those two areas for temporary trips also included.
- Cigna Close Care is flexible and cost-effective, so you can tailor it to suit your needs and budget.
Why choose Cigna for international health insurance for students?
- With two core plans to choose from, offering varying levels of cover, Cigna lets you build a flexible policy that’s an exact match for your needs.
- Sign up and you can rely on a huge international network, taking in more than 1.5 million hospitals, doctors and clinics.
- Our range of digital tools and 24/7 support will also keep you firmly in the loop.